Monday, February 04, 2008

WHY I AM VOTING FOR HILARY

I am coming out of the blogging closet to share my reasons for voting for Hilary Clinton for President. The day after my 18th Birthday, I moved into the dorms at San Diego State and began my exciting life as a college coed. It was filled with freedom, fears and firsts. But the most memorable day that fall was Oct. 23, 1984. That day solidified my stance as a woman, as a feminist and put me on the road to self-awareness.

Geraldine Ferraro was the Democratic nominee for Vice President, running with Presidential nominee Walter Mondale. Geraldine Ferraro had the chance to change history, to make history, to be THE ONE. The one woman who was allowed in. The one woman who would truly represent me. That day Geraldine Ferraro stepped onto the stage at the Open Air Theatre (aka The OAT) at SDSU to a packed house. I couldn't get a seat, so I listened atop one of the grassy spots just outside. I remember getting goosebumps from the excitement of being a witness to history. I still have The Daily Aztec from the following day, tucked away with a few pictures from that first year of freedom in the dorms, some old letters and a couple college term papers. And I honestly can't recall a word of Geraldine Ferraro's speech. But I do remember that day was magical.

And despite the fact that Ronald Regan and George H.W. Bush went on to win reelection, I was witness to history. I became a woman that day in the sunshine, listening to the woman who tried to change America. She may not have changed the country, but she did change me. I became a woman. A woman who would stand by my sisters. I became a woman who would try to change my world, even if that only meant changing the topic to politics at the holiday dinnertable with my family. I became a woman who would always quietly whisper in the ear of another woman when her slip was showing, not to point out the miscue, but to ensure others would do the same for me if needed. I became a woman who helped my sisters when I could with a vote or a donation. I became a woman who believes that Hilary Clinton should be the next President of the United States of America.

So folks, before I go back into blogging hibernation, I just want to say that the reason I'm voting for Hilary Clinton is because I believe she is the best person for the job. And it's just so awesome that I get to take my wildly silly daughter into the voting booth with me when I cast my vote for a woman who is running for President. I hope she'll remember.

3 comments:

SUEB0B said...

I don't think there's a lot of difference, policy-wise, between Clinton and Obama. But I do think there is difference in how they play the game, and I think HilBill will do anything it takes to win, and that scares me - like changing the rules about Florida delegates midstream. I also don't like the idea of dynasty - Bush Clinton Bush Clinton...and what, Jeb in 2012? Yeesh.

Besides listening to Obama makes me swoon.

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

V said...

K lady... its time for an update for goodness sake! At least a photo - the girl is probably taller than me by now!!!

Smooches XOXOXO
V

Victoria said...

Hi VenturaMom!

I found your blog while searching for Southern California Moms, and I was hoping you might be interested in joining our public service campaign to raise awareness of disaster preparedness among Southern California families.

My name is Victoria and I’m with Rocket XL, a marketing agency based in Los Angeles. The State of California has asked us to help them identify around 50 leading independent voices in the SoCal online community to become part of this emergency preparedness pilot program. We hope that you will share your views and opinions about this program with your readers through your blog.

To learn more about this program, please visit this site: http://www.rocketxl.com/californiadisaster/

As a gesture of thanks for your involvement and to kick-start your own family preparedness plan, we want to send you a FREE survival kit. Please let me know if you’re interested and would like to get involved. We would love to have your voice included and I look forward to hearing from you!
Thanks and take care,

Victoria@rocketxl.com
Rocket XL
www.rocketxl.com